Assistant Field OfficerPosted On: 22 June 2020 United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Borno
The Assistant Field Officer is normally supervised by the Senior Field Coordinator or Field Officer or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office, depending on the structure of the Office. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/regional program (s). UNHCR Manual, program and protection objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the incumbent work.
The incumbent does not normally have any direct supervisory role. S/he has daily contacts with staff in the various field offices and with the functional units at the Country/Regional Office. S/he also has close liaison with a range of local civilian and military authorities and counterparts in NGOs and UN agencies to discuss matters of common interest.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable for performing their duties, as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR, which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies, and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. Also, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional, and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity, and respect for diversity.
- Assess the needs of persons of concern in the AoR and formulate project submissions in collaboration with district authorities and implementing partners.
- Promote and monitor the implementation of assistance projects.
- Report regularly on the flow rate of new arrivals and estimate the expected influx based on interviews with persons of concern.
- In coordination with implementing partners, assist with the reception, registration, and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Keep track of cases of detention; register applicants for voluntary repatriation and family reunion.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly sectoral reports and submit material for the preparation of periodic project monitoring reports and year-end reports.
- Submit recommendations for protection interventions to the designated officer.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners, and populations of concern.
- Perform other related duties as required.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA - 1-year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree.
Field(s) of Education
Law, Political Sciences or other relevant fields.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
CERTIFICATES AND/OR LICENSES
- UNHCR Protection Learning Programme
- UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme
RELEVANT JOB EXPERIENCE
- Field experience.
- Knowledge of refugee law.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR's programs.
- PG-Experience with coordinating with Implementing Partners (Government/INGO/NGO/Corporate)
- IT-Computer Literacy
- PG-Resource Planning; eg. FOCUS, Global Focus Insight
- IT-MS Office Applications
- BU-PeopleSoft EPM/Budget
- FI-PeopleSoft Financial Management
- PG-Programme Management (project formulation, program cycles, and reporting standards)
- PG-Results-Based Management
- UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
- PG-UNHCR's Programmes
- EX-Experience in an international capacity
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
A written test will be conducted for this position, which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training, or any other fees).
SkillsManagement Organising Finance Business Relationship Management Business English
Application Currently Closed
Sign up for job alerts
We can send you daily job alerts, fill the form below to get started